Analyst, Infrastructure Investments
Positional Location: Remote, Singapore, London
WaterEquity is seeking an Analyst of Infrastructure Investments to support the establishment of a new emerging markets water and sanitation infrastructure investment business. The role will work closely with a global team to identify, develop, and manage a portfolio of infrastructure investments across the water and sanitation value chain, from water sourcing through wastewater treatment and reuse.
WaterEquity is the first impact investment manager dedicated to mobilizing private sector investments to accelerate universal access to water and sanitation in emerging markets. Since 2016, WaterEquity has raised over $200m in investor capital across three funds and has disbursed 50+ investments spanning nine low- and middle-income countries.
WaterEquity’s investment strategy to date has focused on investing in financial institutions to expand water and sanitation lending to underserved households and businesses. WaterEquity’s new infrastructure investment strategy focuses on providing equity and risk capital for projects and growth companies in the small to mid-market sector. Climate resilience, social impact, and sustainability are core components of all investment decisions. Initial investments will target markets with proven opportunities for private investment in water infrastructure (e.g., in East Asia).
WaterEquity’s sister organization, Water.org, is an international non-profit that specializes in correcting market failures in the water and sanitation sector. A primary focus of Water.org is the provision of advisory services to utilities and project developers, as well as advocacy to governments to promote private sector participation in water and sanitation development and delivery.
Additional information about WaterEquity is available at www.waterequity.org.
WaterEquity’s infrastructure investment team is recruiting an Analyst to support the development and management of an investment portfolio, funded via a series of dedicated funds. The Analyst will be an integral part of the infrastructure investment team and provide support across all aspects of its activities. Key responsibilities include:
- Research and analysis of new investment opportunities (countries, sectors, regulations) consistent with the investment strategy.
- Responsible for the creation and modification of financial models and tools for investment analysis, either directly or through external consultants.
- Financial analysis and valuation of investment opportunities and lead financial modeling (Excel).
- Support each stage of the investment process including business development and screening, negotiations, due diligence, and presentation to IC.
- Investment due diligence with an emphasis on ensuring that key economic, financial, technical, and legal issues are adequately assessed. Support the preparation of project documents for internal approval.
- Pipeline management and analysis, portfolio analysis and monitoring, internal and external reporting.
- Miscellaneous support activities including database management and wider support to the team as needed.
The position reports to the Director, Infrastructure Investments within WaterEquity’s 15-person Investment Management Department.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in a relevant field from a leading business school or university.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in infrastructure or private equity investing in emerging markets. Experience in water and sanitation and/or climate finance is a strong advantage.
- Strong skills in financial modeling for private equity and/or project finance.
- Familiarity with infrastructure project development process and public-private partnerships.
- Demonstrated interest and sound knowledge of impact investment. Experience in water and sanitation and/or climate finance is a strong advantage.
- Familiarity with legal documentation relevant to infrastructure or private equity investments.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in English is mandatory, knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel up to 20%.
WaterEquity is headquartered in Kansas City, MO, U.S.A. Investment team members are located in Washington DC, Pretoria, London, Chennai, Nairobi, and Singapore. The majority of investments are in Asia. Applicants are welcome to apply from any location, provided they have a high degree of comfort using remote-working technology and a willingness to travel to emerging markets.
Compensation and Benefits
Details of any compensation package will be dictated by status, which will be determined based on location. Overall compensation will be commensurate with education and experience and structured to reflect a competitive package for a full-time team member.
No relocation benefits will be offered.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application – Analyst, Infrastructure Investments” in the subject line.
WaterEquity is an equal opportunity employer.
At WaterEquity, we are on an intentional journey to determine how we can champion diversity, equity, and inclusion not only within our organization but also within our industry. We are committed to creating a diverse work environment that is characterized by engagement, a sense of connection, and respect for the differences and contributions of all our professionals. WaterEquity recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.