Director of Compliance
Position Title: Director of Compliance
Reporting To: Chief Compliance Officer
Location: Kansas City, MO or Washington DC
WaterEquity is the first-ever impact investment manager dedicated to mobilizing private sector investments to accelerate universal access to water and sanitation in emerging and frontier markets. Since we started in 2016, WaterEquity has launched three funds which have invested over $70 million in 30 companies around the world. Our investments are designed to expand access to water and sanitation among low-income and underserved populations. WaterEquity is launching additional funds and expects to rapidly scale up assets under management over the next few years. WaterEquity’s subsidiary, WaterCredit, is a Registered Investment Advisor with the Securities and Exchange Commission. We have office locations in Kansas City, Missouri and Washington, DC. Learn more about us at www.waterequity.org.
In conjunction with the Chief Compliance Officer —
- Review, maintain, and update the firm’s regulatory filings, including those with the SEC and (e.g., Forms ADV)
- Develop, maintain, and update the firm’s Compliance Manual.
- Conduct employee training with respect to the compliance program.
- Conduct the SEC-required annual review of the firm’s policies and procedures, including testing of the policies and procedures, and participate in the drafting of the report to management regarding the same.
- Conduct SEC-required risk assessments; recommend risk mitigation techniques and controls.
- Maintain the required compliance and corporate files as mandated by the SEC and other applicable regulators.
- Work with WaterEquity’s marketing team to ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Oversee the day-to-day administration of the firm’s code of ethics policies.
- Respond to regulatory inquiries and third-party examiners.
- Communicate directly with the Chief Compliance Officer regarding various written inquiries.
- Monitor new legal and regulatory developments and update policies and procedures accordingly.
- Manages and/or facilitates projects or workstreams as delegated by the Chief Compliance Officer to optimize the effectiveness of the day-to-day operations of the Compliance team and WaterEquity
The successful candidate will ideally possess the following qualifications and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree desirable
- 2+ years of experience in a compliance function, preferably in financial services; familiarity with the Investment Advisers Act and SEC filings a plus
- Strong understanding of the asset management industry and securities markets, as well as a thorough knowledge of securities laws that relate to investment advisers (e.g., Investment Advisers Act, Securities Act)
- Ability to analyze situations for compliance and business risk and identify effective mitigation options that consider business objectives
- Thrive in a fast-paced culture and adaptable to change
- Meticulous attention to detail and highly accurate
- Comfortable working remotely and in tandem with other team members/contractors, including across borders
- Proactive and able to meet critical deadlines
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills
Compensation and Benefits
Details of the compensation package will be commensurate with education and experience and structured to reflect a competitive package for a full-time team member, including a full benefits package that contains medical, dental, and vision, as well as participation in the firm’s 401(k) plan.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application – Director, Compliance” in the subject line.
WaterEquity is an equal opportunity employer. At WaterEquity, we are on an intentional journey to determine how we can champion diversity, equity, and inclusion not only within our organization, but also within our industry. We are committed to creating a diverse work environment that is characterized by engagement, a sense of connection, and respect for the differences and contributions of all our professionals. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Americans With Disability Specifications
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands of this position include the following:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- Must be able to answer phone, listen and speak with callers and other staff members.
- Requires key-boarding capabilities for computer. The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach forward with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required stoop, bend, kneel, or crouch.
- Visual acuity required for computer use. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- May require prolonged periods of sitting and using the computer.
- Must be able to concentrate/focus despite interruptions.
Work Environment and Schedule
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically be in a normal office environment with some days of the week in-office and some working remotely.
- This is a full-time position and there is not an option for part-time.
- Overnight travel and international travel may be required (estimated 10%).