Manager of Investment Compliance
WaterEquity is seeking a Manager, Investment Compliance to provide critical support for the deployment of capital for WaterEquity’s investments in emerging markets financial institutions to expand access to financing for water and sanitation. The Manager will work closely with the Director, Investment Compliance, and other members of the Investment Management team to structure, draft, negotiate and manage the execution of transaction documents which will ensure that each of WaterEquity’s investments are compliant with applicable U.S. and fund country laws and regulations.
The ideal candidate is someone who thrives in a fast-paced culture, exercises sound judgment, writes succinctly and well, applies logical and critical skills when recommending solutions, and works independently with the ability to collaborate and engage team members at all levels.
WaterEquity is the first impact investment manager dedicated to mobilizing private sector investments to accelerate universal access to water and sanitation in emerging and frontier markets. One of WaterEquity’s primary investment strategies is investing in financial institutions to expand water and sanitation lending to underserved households and businesses. Since 2016, WaterEquity has raised three funds with total investor commitments exceeding $200m and over $144m in loans disbursed to 47 borrowers in ten countries.
WaterEquity is a purpose-driven company with a culture of innovation. The company is launching additional investment vehicles and expects to rapidly scale up assets under management over the next few years. Under the leadership of the Director of FI Investments, WaterEquity expects to grow the global portfolio to $300m by 2024. Additional information about WaterEquity is available at www.waterequity.org.
The Manager, Investment Compliance reports directly to the Director, Investment Compliance within WaterEquity’s 15-person Investment Management Department.
- Investment transaction management for debt and equity financings from drafting legal documentation, negotiation, and execution/closing of transaction matters.
- Coordination of, and communication with, transaction parties (i.e., clients, lawyers, and accountants, where applicable), including review of documents for compliance with pre-conditions, KYC/AML, and other regulatory compliance matters.
- Working with Regional Directors with respect to issues that arise during contract negotiations and working with Director to solve legal risk and business issues that arise in transactions.
- Understanding and applying regulatory changes to new and existing contracts.
- Review and interpret the requirements of governmental agencies, laws, statutes, rules, regulations in project countries.
- Assists Investment Management team with evaluation of prospective fund countries by conducting review and analysis of fund country laws and regulations.
- Participating in various activities related to corporate governance, regulatory compliance, and risk management.
- Assisting with policy and procedure drafting and review.
Skills and Qualifications
A successful candidate will be a proven, self-driven professional with a passion for impact, unwavering attention to detail, and an ability to work cooperatively with a global team. The following qualifications are necessary:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Masters’ or Juris Doctor strongly preferred.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of corporate transactional, contracts negotiation and/or commercial transaction experience, both equity and debt transactions. Cross-border transactions preferred
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in financial transactions, or general business transactions, and with managing deals from inception to closing with minimal oversight.
- Minimum of three (3) years with legal writing, complex contract drafting and negotiations.
- Experience in a legal, compliance, or financial/banking environment required and preferably at a management consultancy, financial services firm, or international non-profit organization
- Experience working with legal counsel to review deal terms, negotiating, and executing infrastructure investment projects, including legal documentation, and closing logistics is an advantage.
- Must have exceptional written and communication skills.
- Must effectively manage and complete several tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize and work independently.
- Must be able to problem solve and close open issues and assist colleagues with resolving issues that arise.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and environmental impact
- Willingness to travel internationally
- Proficiency in speaking and writing in foreign languages is an advantage
WaterEquity is headquartered in Kansas City, MO, U.S.A. Investment Management team members are located in Kansas City, Washington DC, London, Pretoria, Mumbai, Chennai, and Singapore. Applicants are welcome to apply from any location, but strong preference for applicants who reside, or have the requisite experience, in India, South Asia, or East Asia Pacific. All applicants must have a high degree of comfort using remote-working technology and a willingness to travel.
Compensation & Benefits
Details of compensation package will be dictated by contract status, which will be determined based on location. Overall compensation will be commensurate with education and experience and structured to reflect a competitive package for a full-time mid-level team member.
No relocation benefits or visa sponsorship will be offered.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Application – Manager, Investment Compliance” in the subject line.
WaterEquity is an equal opportunity employer.
At WaterEquity, we are on an intentional journey to determine how we can champion diversity, equity, and inclusion not only within our organization, but also within our industry. We are committed to creating a diverse work environment that is characterized by engagement, a sense of connection, and respect for the differences and contributions of all our professionals. WaterEquity recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.