Flexible within Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably Kenya or South Africa. Applicants must have a high degree of comfort using remote-working technology and a willingness to travel to emerging markets.
WaterEquity is seeking a Regional Director of Africa towho will lead all aspects of investments in water and sanitation infrastructure opportunities in the region, with particular focus on sub-Saharan Africa, including deal sourcing, structuring, negotiations, due diligence, and portfolio management. The role will work closely with a global team to develop and manage a portfolio of investments across the water and sanitation value chain, from water sourcing through wastewater treatment and reuse.
The ideal candidate will bring significant experience in private equity investments in infrastructure, as well as an appetite for, and track record of, building successful investment strategies and portfolios. S/he will have an international outlook and proven ability to invest successfully in emerging markets.
The ideal candidate will be able to work independently to quickly identify and develop a pipeline of investible opportunities both in projects and in growth companies, build up an investment portfolio, and recommend long-term strategies for the countries under management.
WaterEquity is the first impact investment manager dedicated to mobilizing private sector investments to accelerate universal access to water and sanitation in emerging markets. Since 2016, WaterEquity has raised over $200m in investor capital across three funds and has disbursed 65+ investments spanning sixteen low- and middle-income countries.
WaterEquity’s investment strategy to date has focused on investing in financial institutions to expand water and sanitation lending to underserved households and businesses. WaterEquity’s new infrastructure investment strategy focuses on providing equity and risk capital for projects and growth companies in the small to mid-market segment within the water sector. Candidates may include municipal or industrial projects, as well as on-balance sheet investments in companies providing services, technology, or equipment for water and sanitation. Climate resilience, social impact, and sustainability are core components of all investment decisions. .
WaterEquity is launching additional funds and expects to rapidly scale up assets under management over the next few years. Under the leadership of the Regional Director, WaterEquity plans to grow the LAC infrastructure portfolio to $40m over the next 3-4 years.
WaterEquity’s affiliate, Water.org, is an international non-profit that specializes in correcting market failures in the water and sanitation sector. A primary focus of Water.org is the provision of advisory services to utilities and project developers, as well as advocacy to governments to promote private sector participation in water and sanitation development and delivery. In addition to leading the WaterEquity infrastructure investments in the region, the Director will coordinate closely with Water.org to leverage advisory services and advocacy to expand and strengthen investment opportunities. .
WaterEquity is a purpose-driven company with a culture of innovation. Additional information about WaterEquity is available at www.waterequity.org.
The Regional Director of Africa has the exciting opportunity to lead the regional development of a new impact investment portfolio. S/he reports to the Director of Infrastructure Investments and is part of a 20-person investment management team. Key responsibilities include: Key responsibilities include:
- Lead Transactions
- Networking and business development to identify investment opportunities both in
projects and growth companies
- Responsible for the creation and modification of financial models and tools for investment analysis, either directly or through external consultants.
- Screening of short-listed opportunities.
- Structuring and negotiation
- Due Diligence.
- Financial, ESG, and impact analysis.
- Presentation of opportunities to investment committee
- Identification of candidates for advisory services from Water.org to enhance risk/return, climate resilience, or social impact
- Coordination with other WaterEquity departments on documentation and disbursement
Strategy, Coordination and Representation
- Lead regional coordination with sister organization, Water.org, as they deliver water and
sanitation technical assistance to WaterEquity investment candidates
- Support the Director of Infrastructure Investments in refining strategies, processes, and tools
- Identify opportunities for expansion of markets and products within the region
- Represent WaterEquity, including sector events and investor discussions
- A successful candidate will be a proven, self-driven professional with a passion for impact and an ability to work independently to develop and manage a high-quality investment portfolio. The following qualifications are necessary:
- Master’s degree from a leading business school or university in relevant field or an equivalent post graduate qualification
- Minimum ten (10) years of private equity investment experience with at least three years of experience overseeing an investment portfolio, including in the sub-Saharan Africa region.
- Experience in investments into infrastructure projects or companies serving/supplying to the infrastructure sector is an added advantage
- Preference for candidates with direct experience in water and sanitation and/or climate finance, with an existing professional network of contacts in the water sector in sub-Saharan Africa
- Strong understanding of models for financing infrastructure, including public-private partnerships and project finance models.
- Demonstrated success sourcing, conducting due diligence, and reaching financial close on infrastructure investments.
- Expertise in financial modeling and valuation methodologies
- Fluency in English and Spanish, knowledge of French and/or Portugese is an advantage.
- Experience with cross-border transactions.
- Outstanding client relationship development and management skills
- Demonstrated ability to design, launch, and scale new projects and initiatives
- Effective interpersonal and communications skills.
- Willingness to travel up to 30%.
- Fluency in English is mandatory. French or Portuguese is an advantage.
The selected candidate may additionally work on investments in other regions according to the needs of the overall investment program.
Skills and Qualifications
Compensation and Benefits
Overall compensation will be commensurate with education and experience and structured to reflect a competitive package for a full-time senior-level team member. No relocation benefits will be offered.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application – Regional Director of Africa, Infrastructure Investments” in the subject line..
WaterEquity is an equal opportunity employer.
At WaterEquity, we are on an intentional journey to determine how we can champion diversity, equity, and inclusion not only within our organization but also within our industry. We are committed to creating a diverse work environment that is characterized by engagement, a sense of connection, and respect for the differences and contributions of all our professionals. WaterEquity recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.