Regional Director of South Asia, Infrastructure Investments
Position location: Remote, flexible within India, with a preference for major cities
WaterEquity is the first asset manager exclusively focused on solving one of the most urgent issues of our time—the global water and sanitation crisis. We invest in financial institutions, enterprises, and infrastructure in emerging markets delivering access to safe water and sanitation to low-income consumers while offering an attractive risk-return profile to investors.
Founded by engineer Gary White and actor/writer Matt Damon of Water.org, the success of WaterEquity is built on decades of experience investing in water and sanitation in emerging markets, delivering proven social and financial returns. Since 2016, WaterEquity has raised more than $200 million across three funds, reaching more than 3 million people with access to safe water or sanitation, with women comprising 97% of individuals directly supported by our investments.
WaterEquity’s investment strategy to date has focused on investing in financial institutions to expand water and sanitation lending to underserved households and businesses. WaterEquity’s new infrastructure investment strategy focuses on providing equity and risk capital for projects and growth companies in the small to mid-market segment within the water sector. Candidates may include municipal or industrial projects, as well as on-balance sheet investments in companies providing services, technology, or equipment for water and sanitation. Climate resilience, social impact, and sustainability are core components of all investment decisions.
WaterEquity is launching additional funds and expects to rapidly scale up assets under management over the next few years. Under the leadership of the Regional Director, WaterEquity plans to grow the South Asia infrastructure portfolio to $100 million by 2025.
WaterEquity’s sister organization, Water.org, is an international non-profit that specializes in correcting market failures in the water and sanitation sector. A primary focus of Water.org is the provision of advisory services to utilities and project developers, as well as advocacy to governments to promote private sector participation in water and sanitation development and delivery. In addition to leading the WaterEquity infrastructure investments in the region, the Director will coordinate closely with Water.org to leverage advisory services and advocacy to expand and strengthen investment opportunities.
WaterEquity is a purpose-driven company with a culture of innovation. Additional information about WaterEquity is available at www.waterequity.org.
WaterEquity is seeking a Regional Director of South Asia who will lead all aspects of investments in water and sanitation infrastructure opportunities in the region, including deal sourcing, structuring, negotiations, due diligence, and portfolio management.
The ideal candidate will bring significant experience in private equity investments in infrastructure, as well as an appetite for, and track record of, building successful investment strategies and portfolios. They will have an international outlook and a proven ability to invest successfully in emerging markets. The ideal candidate will be able to work independently to quickly take over relationships with existing pipeline candidates, develop the investment portfolio, and recommend long-term strategies for the countries under management.
The Regional Director of South Asia has the exciting opportunity to lead the regional development of a new impact investment portfolio. They report to the Director of Infrastructure Investments and is part of a 15-person investment management team. Key responsibilities include:
- Networking and business development to identify investment opportunities both in projects and growth companies
- Screening of short-listed opportunities
- Structuring and negotiation
- Due diligence
- Financial, ESG, and impact analysis
- Presentation of opportunities to an investment committee
- Identification of candidates for advisory services from Water.org to enhance risk/return, climate resilience, or social impact
- Coordination with other WaterEquity departments on documentation and disbursement
- Represent WaterEquity on the boards of investee companies
- Monitor financial and operational health of investments and manage periodic valuations
- Monitor investment-related, country, and market risks
Strategy, Coordination & Representation
- Lead regional coordination with sister organization, Water.org, as they deliver water and sanitation technical assistance to WaterEquity investment candidates
- Support the Director of Infrastructure Investments in refining strategies, processes, and tools
- Identify opportunities for expansion of markets and products within the region
- Represent WaterEquity, including sector events and investor discussions
The selected candidate may additionally work on investments in other regions according to the needs of the overall investment program.
Skills and Qualifications
A successful candidate will be a proven, self-driven professional with a passion for impact and an ability to work independently to develop and manage a high-quality investment portfolio. The following qualifications are necessary:
- Master’s degree from a leading business school or university in a relevant field or an equivalent post-graduate qualification
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in infrastructure finance, with at least three years of experience overseeing an investment portfolio, including in the South Asia region (SA); private equity experience is an added advantage
- Preference for candidates with direct experience in water and sanitation and/or climate finance, with an existing professional network of contacts in the water sector in SA
- Strong understanding of models for financing infrastructure, including public-private partnerships and project finance models
- Demonstrated success in sourcing, conducting due diligence, and reaching financial close on infrastructure investments
- Expertise in financial modeling and valuation methodologies
- Experience in investing via equity, debt, and other instruments
- Experience with cross-border transactions
- Outstanding client relationship development and management skills
- Demonstrated ability to design, launch, and scale new projects and initiatives
- Willingness to travel up to 40% of the time
- Effective interpersonal and communications skills
- Fluency in English is mandatory, and knowledge of an additional regional language is an advantage
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you are excited about this role but don’t feel as though your experience aligns perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply regardless. You may be just the right candidate for this role.
Compensation and Benefits
Overall compensation will be commensurate with education and experience and structured to reflect a competitive package for a full-time senior-level team member.
No relocation benefits or visa sponsorship will be offered.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter with salary requirements and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application – Regional Director of South Asia, Infrastructure Investments” in the subject line.
WaterEquity is an equal-opportunity employer. At WaterEquity, we are on an intentional journey to determine how we can champion diversity, equity, and inclusion not only within our organization but also within our industry. We are committed to creating a diverse work environment that is characterized by engagement, a sense of connection, and respect for the differences and contributions of all our professionals. WaterEquity recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.