Regional Director of South and Central Asia — Impact Investing in Financial Institutions
WaterEquity is seeking a Regional Director for South and Central Asia who will lead all aspects of investments in financial institutions in the region, including deal sourcing, screening, negotiations, due diligence, and portfolio management. The investment portfolio includes loans to a variety of different types of financial institutions to support lending to households and small and medium enterprises (“SMEs”) for water and sanitation.
The ideal candidate will be able to quickly take over relationships with existing clients, expand the portfolio, and recommend long-term strategies for the countries under management.
WaterEquity is the first-ever impact investment manager dedicated to mobilizing private sector investments to accelerate universal access to water and sanitation in emerging and frontier markets. One of WaterEquity’s primary strategies is investing in financial institutions to expand water and sanitation lending to underserved households and businesses. Since 2016, WaterEquity has raised three funds with total investor commitments of $200m and over $119m in loans disbursed to 30+ borrowers in six countries. WaterEquity is launching additional funds and expects to rapidly scale up assets under management over the next few years. Under the leadership of the Regional Director, WaterEquity plans to grow the South and Central Asia regional portfolio from $60M in mid-2021 to at least $100M by the end of 2022. Additional information about WaterEquity is available at www.waterequity.org.
The Regional Director, South and Central Asia reports to the Director of Financial Institutions Investments and is part of a 15-person investment management team.
- Business development and candidate screening
- Structuring and negotiation
- Due diligence
- Financial, ESG, and impact analysis
- Presentation of opportunities to investment committee
- Coordination with other departments on documentation and disbursement
- Support transactions in other geographic regions
- Monitor financial and operational health of investments
- Lead workouts for problem investments
- Monitor country and market risks
- Support other departments with local compliance issues
Strategy & Representation
- Lead regional coordination with sister organization, Water.org, as they deliver water and sanitation technical assistance to WaterEquity investment candidates
- Support the Director of Financial Institutions Investments in refining strategies, processes, and tools
- Identify opportunities for expansion of markets and products within the region
- Represent WaterEquity, including sector events and investor discussions
Skills and Qualifications
A successful candidate will be a proven, self-driven professional with a passion for impact and an ability to work independently to develop and manage a high-quality investment portfolio. The following qualifications are necessary:
- Master’s degree in relevant field, or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in finance / banking / microfinance / impact investment in emerging markets, with at least 3 years of experience overseeing an investment portfolio
- Experience with due diligence and analysis of investment opportunities in financial institutions
- Experience with SME lending and/or non-income generating microloan products, particularly water & sanitation or housing microloans
- Experience with cross-border transactions
- Existing professional network of contacts in the financial services sector
- Outstanding client relationship development and management skills
- Demonstrated ability to design, launch, and scale new projects and initiatives
- Willingness to regularly travel up to 20% of the time.
Flexible within India.
No relocation benefits will be offered.
Compensation & Benefits
Overall compensation will be commensurate with education and experience and structured to reflect a competitive package for a full-time senior-level team member.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Application – Regional Director of South and Central Asia” in the subject line.
WaterEquity is an equal opportunity employer.
WaterEquity recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At WaterEquity, we are on an intentional journey to determine how we can champion diversity, equity, and inclusion not only within our organization, but also within our industry. We are committed to creating a diverse work environment that is characterized by engagement, a sense of connection, and respect for the differences and contributions of all our professionals.